I decided I would actually use acrylic paint on some of the image, at least to start. First, I used white to go over the portions of the image I was not going to use. Just so I could get a better idea how the “new” image was going to look.
I used a bit of water to blend the Stabilo pencil in. The “graphite” color didn’t dissolve quite like the black one I have does. It is okay.
I was going to paint the over-leotard black… but I couldn’t find my black paint anywhere. So I grabbed my metallic blue (the tutu became history – I had thoughts of changing the small puffy one to one of the longer floatier toole ones… and I still might… but I kind of liked the leotard as is). I actually grabbed my watercolor palette and added some color to the face, legs and hands. I am totally unsure what that will look like when it dries but heck, it’s all a big experiment. Then I added brown to the hair. The hair was another quandary. I originally planned to make her hair long and flowing… but when she turned into more of a ballerina type… long hair didn’t seem to fit. I didn’t want the hair to be too severe… so I went for a looser short look. First I painted in a dark brown and then, once it had dried a bit added some metallic gold to give it some life.
Lastly I added stripes back into the areas I had whited out in order to change the image. I didn’t spend a lot of time trying to get the lines… widths… etcetera… perfect. I just wanted color back… The colors were not quite the same… but I didn’t worry about that either. I added a bit of the paint color to the entire stripe. I may add more color over the stripe later, anyway.